Kaysen's new best friend is Uncle Stephen. Why, you ask? Wouldn't you want a best friend who lets you drive and buys you cool things when you go shopping? Uncle Stephen sure knows how to work his way into a young boy's heart! I told Kaysen he couldn't ask his aunt and uncle to buy him anything when they went shopping together. He didn't ask; his uncle was just that cool!
This experience reminds me of the story that's told about Jesse. When Jesse was a young boy, his Aunt Iva used to spoil him like Kaysen was spoiled this weekend. One time, when Jesse was going to the store with his mother and his aunt, his mother told him he couldn't ask his aunt for anything. When they arrived at the store, he whispered in his aunt's ear, "When I find what I want, I'll go like this (making a "come here" motion with his finger) and point to what I want." Of course, Aunt Iva obliged and bought Jesse whatever he wanted!
By the way, I'm not sure that Grandpa appreciated Uncle Stephen's kindness. When Kaysen rode home from church the next day with Grandma and Grandpa, Kaysen jumped right in Grandpa's truck, got behind the steering wheel, and said, "Grandpa, I'll drive home. I know how. Uncle Stephen taught me." Grandpa said Kaysen could sit in the middle!
That is so funny!
ReplyDelete