Monday, October 13, 2008

Quilt Tops Galore!

I've made several quilts throughout the years, but this is my first quilt as the beginning of my new hobby! I didn't know I would enjoy it so much! The pattern is called Morning Star from The Quilter's Cache. I purchased this material for $1 per yard at Wal-Mart years ago with the intent of making a rag quilt. I'm glad I waited and found a better use for the material! I absolutely love how it turned out. The stars are actually part of the sashing and are amazingly easy to make.

This was also my first experience learning how to use a machine quilter. What fun!


Here's my second quilt (top only) made with the same fabrics as above. It's called Carrie Nation, also from The Quilter's Cache. Interestingly, Carrie Nation was a member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union in the early 1900s. You can read more about her story here.


And, believe it or not, I still ended up having some of the plaid fabric left, so I made one more quilt top and added jean squares to it. I've been saving old jeans for years now, and a few months ago, when we were cleaning our storage room, my husband asked if I was ever going to use them. Little did he know that I would get addicted to quilting and they would go to good use! This one is called Squares within Squares 2. I had a really fun time making this quilt, and it went together really fast!




And finally, here's my current project. I was so tired of plaid, burgandy, brown, and navy blue after the previous three quilt tops. So I chose bright and fun colors for this quilt. This one is called Annie's Choice, and the technique for creating the half squares is really fun! The sashing is made of three 1 1/2" strips of fabric sewn together, with "crown" blocks highlighting the solid colors in the blocks.

2 comments:

  1. I love your new blog! And thanks for sharing your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!!!!!!! I'm so excited to add you to my blogroll!!!! Your quilts are wonderful!!! You could open your own Etsy shop and sell them!!! Can you tell I'm happy you're in blogland?

    ReplyDelete