Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Keep on Trekking!

Our pioneer trek was much harder for me than I expected, but it was still really fun and rewarding. It taught me that I can do hard things. I also gained a reverence and appreciation for the pioneers. My testimony of the gospel was strengthened.

I'm also grateful for the small miracle in my own life of good health for the trek. Two weeks before trek, I came down with pneumonia/bronchitis which took a long time to recover from. Then, just when I thought I was feeling better, two days before we left on trek, I couldn't move my right arm without EXTREME PAIN due to bicepital tendinitis - sorry about the spelling. . . I'm not a medical expert! And then, on the first day of trek, I "enjoyed" the wonderful experience of blisters. My poor little pinky toes were completely covered in lovely blisters, as well as the balls of my feet. Each evening as I went to bed, I would say to myself, "I can't do this again tomorrow." But each morning, I would get up and start walking and somehow just keep going.

It took a week to have the swelling in my feet get back to normal. And it was at least 4 or 5 days before Jesse and I could kiss again other than a tiny peck. Our lips were so sore from the heat and dry weather, even though we applied chapstick frequently!

Being a Ma and Pa on trek was an incredible experience! We thoroughly enjoyed getting to know youth in our stake. I have a lot of faith in our youth. They are strong and faithful. No wonder Satan is waging a war; he's worried he won't win because the youth are so strong. Of course, I know that righteousness will prevail!

Our trek family at the church before departure:
Cassidy, Cheyenne, and Liz (behind) on the bus:
Jeremy and Josh (our youngest, and just recovering from the flu):

At Deseret Land and Livestock (near Evanston) ready to begin the trek (notice the porta-potties in the background; we learned to be very thankful for them!):

A short break on the trail:

Watch out for Jacob's quick wit! You need to be on your toes every minute to get even half the jokes he tells! What a character! And what a worker! Man, he can pull like an ox!

Jeremy (tightening the green family bandana around his arm) with Liz, who never gave up! And Jaret in the background with a THUMBS UP!

Teresa and Cassidy (now we know why she got blisters on her cheeks after the first day; she didn't wear her bonnet!):
Jenna and Liz with their never-failing smiles! Even though Jenna's knee gave her troubles throughout the trek, she was always smiling and happy. Liz just kept going, and going, and going (she had heart surgery a year ago). I kept telling myself, "If Liz can do this, I can do this!" And thank goodness for tall and strong Nick, always willing to do whatever we asked without any complaining, and always willing to fill in wherever we needed the most help!

Square Dancing Night (I had to post these because I'm not sure any of the boys would ever be caught dead square dancing! Hee, hee!):


And finally, all of our youth running to line up on the trail and cheer on the North Stake. It was a beautiful site seeing the youth cheer and support each other:

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I've always wanted to go on a trek as a family, and I might just have to look into it for real, after reading about your experience:) Way to hang in there, even with blistered feet!

    ReplyDelete