I read on Dr. Laura's blog: "Progress may be great, but so are old-fashioned values. After all, isn’t it especially critical that we uphold traditional ideals like daily family dinners and family game nights in today’s high-tech, progress-driven world? It seems to me that there are already too many conflicting interests to which the family must take a back seat, including work and financial anxiety. The one point of stability in all this disunity and dysfunction is the mother/father/child dynamic. So, I firmly believe that it should be maintained."
I whole-heartedly agree! Jaret mentioned at dinner last night that he had to take a survey about drugs, drinking, and other promiscuous behaviors. One question was, "How many times each week do you eat dinner with your family?"
"All seven days!" Jaret proudly proclaimed. Whether it's just grilled cheese and tomato soup, spaghetti and French bread, or roast with potatoes and gravy. . . we are committed to catching up with each other each evening at the dinner table. It's one of my favorite times of the day.
And speaking of game night, we've now started a Monday-night game night after our Family Home Evening lesson. We used to watch Chuck on NBC together. However, we've had to start recording the show and editing it before we allow our children to watch. Too many innuendos, inappropriate scenes, and inappropriate language. It's so disappointing because the first season started out so good.
So this Monday's game was UpWords. Did you know that GLUMP is a word? Look it up in the dictionary! It really is a word!
I read Dr. Laura's post right before I came to your blog! Isn't it sad that someone even has to write an article like this? Isn't wonderful, though, that she had the courage to do so in a world that is seemingly so against the traditional family!
ReplyDelete