Friday, March 20, 2009

Mom Training

This morning as I was sorting all the laundry that needed to be washed, I began to complain under my breath about unrolling rolled-up church shirt sleeves and unfolding socks out of a wad or clump. Jesse peaked his head out of the bathroom while he was getting ready and said, "You must have gone to the same MOM TRAINING as my mother. Those are some of the same things I used to hear her say!"

How is it that all moms say the same things? And how is it that all moms know so many things about their kids?

For instance, Jaret came home from the region choir competition early one evening this week around 7:30 p.m. When he walked in, I immediately noticed that he seemed tired, but also hot. I said, "Why is your hair all sweaty?" He said, "It was hot on the bus." Then, when he re-entered the room, I said, "How come it looks like you've been wearing a hat? It's 70 degrees outside. Why would you want to wear a hat?" He looked at me, rolled his eyes, and said, "OK, I bought a new Russian bomber hat at the mall today, and I didn't want you to know that I had spent some money on it." We had a good conversation about money (including a decision to create a new savings account specifically for a mission and for college) and about lying by not telling the whole truth or by not saying anything at all.

Moms just seem to know. . . usually about everything!

1 comment: