I joined an
online menu service about a month ago. Each weekly menu is planned around the advertised deals at Albertson's, Smith's, Macey's, Harmon's, and Ream's. I am pleased to say that it is actually working! We are saving money, stocking up on items that are on sale, and trying lots of new, tasty recipes! We usually budget $600 per month for groceries, and then when miscellaneous expenditures come up, we always go over our budget. But this last month, I only spent about $425 on groceries, which left $175 for all the miscellaneous expenses and even eating out! Some of our new favorite recipes include:
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Apple Walnut Chicken Salad
- Fettuccini Alfredo Sausage Pizza
- Taco Salad with Cilantro & Lime Dressing
- Turkey Tetrazzini
- Turkey Honey Mustard BLT Wraps
- Cake Mix Cookies with Peppermint Icing
- Pumpkin French Toast
My grocery budget this month also included a lot of extra baking items (I'm bringing a dessert tray to Thanksgiving dinner including Raspberry Thumprints, Lemon Butter Bars, Butter Pecan Tartlets, and Pumpkin Pie Tartlets). I'm especially excited that I had enough grocery money left to stock up on all the great Thanksgiving deals this week (butter, whipped topping, Stove Top Stuffing, pumpkin, cheese, cream cheese, broth, and turkey).
A couple of unexpected benefits we have received from trying this menu service:
- Our kids are getting much better at trying new foods.
- And, my husband and I have thoroughly enjoyed the leftovers for our lunches.
Way to go, Teresa! It's nice to hear how menu planning has saved you $$.
ReplyDeleteI wish we had a similar service here in CA! Pass along some of those recipes, though--they sound delicious!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that my girls are the "little neighbor girls" that also had a lick of the suckers! Sorry!
ReplyDelete