We are so privileged to live so close to Church headquarters! Bryant and Jesse attended the Brand New Year New Year's Eve Celebration recording last night. They both came home with positive reviews of the evening. The LDS Conference Center was packed! They enjoyed listening to the talk by Elder Holland, interacting with the performers, and participating occasionally by singing or doing something special, such as making a "wave," or holding up the "For Strength of Youth," booklet and waving it back and forth. Jesse was particularly impressed that everything, from lights and sound to performers and organ players, was done by the youth of the church! How impressive is that?I also enjoy living close to Church headquarters for the opportunity to participate in service. Today, I traveled to SLC with 3 other sisters in my ward to serve at Welfare Square. It's always fun to serve together and to get to know the sisters that come. We had a 4-hour shift, and our job in the applesauce-making process was to place the apples, stem up, on the corer. By the end of the shift, we were all trying to stretch our back and leg muscles. We all stayed dry this time (contrary to the closing salsa shift I did last year when our Bishop's wife and I should have both worn wet-suits). And, there were no overflow problems this time like when I went last year to make pear sauce (picture Lucy and the chocolates and you'll know what I mean by overflow!). But it's always fun at the Cannery, regardless of what happens! I'm always amazed at how many jars we can get done in such a little amount of time. It truly is incredible. The Welfare Program is certainly inspired of God!
Awesome! I can't wait to see the DVD of their experience on New Year's Eve, although I was thinking of you on Wednesday evening and wishing we could be there, too. There's nothing like the live experience.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to the cannery in Los Angeles in ages, but we do go to the (closer) Bishop's storehouse and Deseret Industries to participate in service there, and it is truly wonderful to see the Church welfare program in action. If only governments would adopt the same system!