Sunday, September 23, 2012

Halloween Traditions

No trick-or-treaters from our house this year.  Our youngest is growing up and wants to have a party instead.  I'm happy to oblige, since all the treats typically brought home seem to tempt and derail me from eating a healthy breakfast and snacks for weeks on end (all that chocolate is just too tempting).

We'll begin the evening with our traditional soup and breadsticks dinner for just the family.  It's always soup, chili, or stew for Halloween dinner.  But the breadsticks MUST be the Twists (copycat recipe from Pizza Factory at end of post).

The appliqued pumpkin placemats were easy and fun to make.  And the mitered-corner napkins. . . Easy peasy with these directions from Hello, My Name is Heather.

After dinner, the neighborhood kids will be invited to enjoy night games in our back yard. . . glow-in-the-dark soccer, laser tag, flash-light tag, etc. Since they aren't going trick-or-treating, I'll provide Spudnuts (recipe at end of post) and Hot Chocolate for the kids (and supervising parents) to enjoy around a campfire.  I plan to serve the treats on this Monster Munchie Table Runner I made last week at Quilt Guild (from McCall's Quilting).


It's been a beautiful Fall.  I certainly hope the weather continues to cooperate.  A chill in the air isn't a bad thing, but please no rain or snow until after Halloween!


Bread Stick Twists (Pizza Factory)
1 ½ cups hot water
1 T. sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 T. instant yeast
3 ½ - 4 cups flour
GLAZE:
2-3 T. melted butter
¼ tsp. garlic salt
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. dill weed
1/8 tsp. Italian seasoning

Combine water, sugar, salt, yeast, and enough flour to make a soft dough.  Knead for 3-4 minutes. On greased countertop, break off pieces of dough and roll into thin ropes that are about 1 ½ times the length of your skewers.  Twist the rope around the skewer and place on a greased cookie sheet.  Repeat till all dough is used. 
Let twists rise till doubled, about 30 minutes.  Bake at 375 for about 12-15 minutes or till golden brown.  While they are baking, combine the glaze ingredients.  Remove twists from oven and brush with the butter glaze. 



Spudnuts
2 cups milk, warmed
1 cup sugar
½ cup shortening
1 cup mashed potatoes
2 packets yeast dissolved in 1/3 cup warm water
3 eggs
½ tsp. nutmeg
8-10 cups flour
1 ½ tsp. salt

To hot milk, add sugar, shortening, potatoes, yeast mixture, eggs, and nutmeg.  Stir to combine.  Add enough flour to resemble cake batter.  Let sponge until doubled.  Add remaining flour and salt to make a soft dough.  Mix and knead.  Let dough rise until doubled.  Punch down.  Let rise again. 
Roll out dough on floured surface about 1/3 – ½” thick and cut into doughnuts.  Let rise.  Deep fry in oil heated to 350 – 400 degrees.  Dip in glaze when warm (3 cups powdered sugar, ½ cup water, ½ tsp. vanilla).

3 comments:

  1. I talked to my family a couple days ago about your spudnut/hot cocoa idea. Bryce and Bryn think it sounds like a great idea. But I'm not as ambitious as you. I'll do the hot cocoa and we'll purchase the little cinnamon rolls from Costco as our Halloween offerings this year. That idea got the highest votes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, cute table runner, by the way. You have the Halloween one and I have the Thanksgiving one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun times! Love all your handiwork, and the recipes sound delish.

    ReplyDelete