2. GHS Christmas Concert starring Bryant in Concert Band and Men's Choir:
3. Bishop's Storehouse: One of my favorite Sacrament Meeting's of the year is the meeting right before Christmas. I love how music brings the Spirit. It's amazing to think of all the time and talent that go into this 1 hour program. What an amazing thing to be able to serve in a way that touches so many people. I love how I feel after this meeting. What a privilege it is to be a part of the Bishop's Storehouse in my ward and serve and help where needed. Not that I helped or served this year as part of the Christmas program. Instead, I thoroughly enjoyed being in the congregation this year in my sister's ward in Boise.
4. Christmas Cards and Letters: I love keeping in touch with friends, even if it is sparingly and even if it is only once a year. I love sending and receiving cards and letters. I read in my Gooseberry Patch Christmas All Through the House book that sending holiday letters has been a tradition since the early 1800's. In 1843, an Englishman named Henry Cole was too busy to write his usual letters, so he hired John C. Horsely, an artist, to design an illustrated card. The card featured three panels. . . the middle was a scene of a celebrating family, while the two side panels represented acts of Christmas charity. Before long, the tradition of sending Christmas cards began!
5. New Recipes!: Every year, my sisters and parents and I exchange recipes with our Christmas cards. So far, I've received recipes for Honey Buns, Divinity and Peanut Brittle (although no one can make them like you, Mom), Coconut Scones with Coconut Glaze, and French Quarter Cheese Spread. I also like to try as many new recipes as I can during this season. My favorite new find so far is the Chewy Gingersnap Cookies I made for Heather and Anthony's reception. Tonight we tried another keeper, Spinach and Cheese Ziti. And a few nights ago, we tried Mimi's Cafe Spinach and Artichoke Dip (so amazing!).
6. Family Parties and Activities: Thanks, Heather and Anthony, for letting us be a part of your very special day. We were so lucky to be reminded of the blessing of eternal families at this time of year.
7. Hickory Farms Meltaway Mints: If you've tried them, you know that no explanation is needed!
8. White Christmases: I love watching the snow fall. . . that is. . . as long as I am warm and cozy inside my house, enjoying a cup of hot cocoa! But I do love to see how excited Kaysen gets to be able to sled and play in the snow with his friends.
9. Neighbor Gifts: This year was a little hectic, and although I had an idea for neighbor gifts, I never had time to get them delivered. In fact, I was thinking of skipping this little tradition, but Kaysen wouldn't hear of it. When we returned from Boise, we had several gifts on our porch. Since then, several other families have stopped by to wish us a Merry Christmas. I'm so grateful for our new neighbors and friends we have made here. But I'm also thankful for the many friends we still have in Tooele. I feel so loved!
10. Christmas Eve: Appetizers (cocktail shrimp, li'l smokies, chips/dip, etc.), pizza, frappe, Aunt Harriet's sugar cookies, white elephant gifts, the Christmas Story scripture reading and play. . . What isn't to love about Christmas Eve?
We sent you a card. It was not professionally illustrated, but Alana did take the picture...lol. I hope the card arrived safely to your house. I couldn't find your address, so I looked it up on the internet, and it said Pastufe instead of Pasture. :) I didn't find the correct address until later. Hee Hee. Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteYep, we got it, Jenny! Thanks so much. I think it was a great family photo. We have it taped on the "card shrine" on our wall!
ReplyDelete